Why Do Some Women Choose Abortion?
by Steve Hale
"Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful" ( Romans 1:31, ASV).
These are actual accounts of young women explaining why they had abortions (Christianity Today, "Why Women Choose Abortion," by Frederica Matthewes-Green, pgs. 21-25, Jan. 9, 1995). These are typical cases of pressure, one-sided advice, and selfishness. In her research, Frederica Mathewes-Green gives six ways to encourage like:
1. Fight isolation with friendships. 1.5 million abortions a year can be slowed by befriending pregnant women in need of encouragement.
2. Encourage natural bonds. Parents may be disowning or removed from the process. Try to repair these bonds.
3. Promote adoption. Women need to be assured that people are on long waiting lists for babies, and her child is wanted.
4. Help build employment plans that allow a woman to mother her child. Develop leads with businesses that allow flexible hours, job-sharing, compressed work weeks, or other features for the young mother.
5. Prepare for a phasing-out of welfare benefits to single mothers. Churches need to reach out to "Pour women with spiritual and material needs.
6. Take courage!
January 22, 1995
Print this Article
Discuss this Article
Back to the Sermon Page
Mt. Juliet Church of Christ
1940 N. Mt. Juliet Road
Mt.Juliet, TN 37122-0248
Sunday Early Worship: 8AM
Sunday Bible Study: 9:15AM
Sunday Late Worship: 10:15AM
Night Worship: 6PM
Wednesday Bible Study: 7PM