Johnny Doyle Boucher (1925-2014)

We express our deepest sympathy to Mary Boucher and daughters, Doylene and Mary Alice, upon the death of Doyle this past week. Doyle was a man of deep, genuine faith who spoke about his readiness to meet the Lord. The following words are Mary Boucher’s story of this couples wonderful life together. What a joy to read!

Doyle and Mary Boucher both grew up in Old Hickory and met in 1941, while they were attending DuPont High School. All students were required to be tested for tuberculosis, so Doyle and Mary and their classmates rode the bus to Nashville to be tested. Before they returned home, the class took in a movie (For Whom the Bell Tolls) and Mary and Doyle sat together for the first time. From that day, Doyle started riding his bike about a mile to see Mary, and would stay and visit with her until her father would tell him it was time for him to “hit the road”. Their dates usually consisted of riding the bus to a movie in Madison, going to ball games, roller skating, a picnic in Shelby Park, or a ride on the ferry. After dating for two years, the Bouchers eloped on November 3, 1943.

Doyle had a Tennessean and Banner paper route for his job in Old Hickory. They lived with Mary’s parents for two months, knowing Doyle was due to go into the Armed Service at any time. Doyle had volunteered for the Army Air Force in 1943, but due to his depth perception he was not allowed to take pilot’s training. He left in January 1944, for Fort McClellan, Alabama for his basic infantry training, and transferred to Camp Van Dorn, Mississippi for his advanced training. Mary followed him and lived on or outside the base as long as she could. In October 1944, Doyle was transferred to Baltimore, Maryland, and then on to New York from where he was shipped overseas for duty in France and Germany. He fought on the front line for seven months, and was hospitalized after his right hand was wounded. He was the recipient of the Purple Heart decoration.

“One of the most vivid and wonderful memories is hearing the front door of my parents home open on a cold night in January 1946, when Doyle walked in after sixteen months away from home,” Mary recalled. “I can still see him standing there in his old wool Army coat, looking at his 13 month old daughter, Doylene, for the first time.”

The Bouchers have done a lot of traveling all over the United States and into part of Canada and Mexico. Many of these trips have been taken by car, but the most memorable ones were taken on Doyle’s motorcycle. Not all their bike trips were done while the sun was shining!

Doyle and Mary were both baptized in 1968, and attended services at Una for many years. Doyle worked with Una’s benevolent ministry and with the Inner City Ministry. In recent years they moved to Providence Assisted Living. Doyle would bring them to church at Mt. Juliet. We are so thankful they became members here. Recently they celebrated their 70th Wedding Anniversary!

Once Doyle explained their Christian life in this way; “Mary and I take great pleasure in Acts 2:38 where God’s promise of Salvation is given,” Doyle explained. “Just like the song states, the Lord will be with those who trust and obey.”